Thursday, September 2, 2010

Landscapes, Waterscapes and Skies

The best thing about living on an island are the landscapes, waterscapes and skies you get. Here in Saipan we get some pretty awesome combination of all three factors. I did a lot of landscape photography just as a hobby, and pretty much it still is, but my favorite things to capture were anything concerning with the sky. I love sunsets and cloudy like days where light rays will come through and create a dramatic appearance in the sky. I love the puffy and broken down clouds through double weather days where shapes can be easily formed and named.

I believe that by evening, it's the best time to unwind. Your out of school/work, dinner is freshly just around the corner, a small bar might just be ready to release you from a hard days work and the sheets are just ready to embrace you.

So it's really enjoyable to capture that one time of the day where all is calm. It's the best thing that I can compare to living in the moment. The best parts of life is that one lil glimpse or those few moments of happiness and security. Just like a sunset. Such beauty to disappear into a memory after a few minutes.






^This was taken at my place around late 5pm. I wish I got the chance to capture the whole set but this one cloud gave me that imaginative feel. If you look at the darker part near the power pole, you'll notice a head with it's mouth wide open and lil arms reaching out, then on the lower left hand corner, a yacht. >.< I guess this monster was either tynuh eat it or saying "Stay back!" lol.





^A beautiful sunset captured north of the island. This is what I call a 2 weather day because in this picture there is an absolute clear blue sky and rain all at the same time. We have a lot of them here, but they make incredible pictures. This was all taken by my cellphone too and edited a bit in Photoshop =].





^My first sunset shot in ages. This was months ago when I finally got back into photography. The orange tone is created by a setting in my camera that's created specifically for sunset shots. I'm still pretty amazed with how well my camera takes images ^-^ especially that it's only a point-and-shoot. I love calm water and low tides. They almost blend into the sand foreground and just makes it seem like people are walking above it =].





^My first sunset at a different angle without the special setting on the camera. The position of the sun gives hint of the time of day, this is roughly about 30 minutes before sundown. I love how the clouds just gave it the dramatic look I'm always into and having the cargo ship (to the left) in the frame was a major plus.





^A beautiful sunset before a great down pour. The whole months I've got to capture these images was a pretty rainy season, but like I've mentioned, those huge clouds always creates a beautiful sunset. I love this because of the colors I've captured. Wish I had the chance to do a whole panorama that day, could have been killer.

I'm excited to do more of these hehehe. 
Maybe if my weekend ends up being clear of 
portrait shoots, I'll be able to just drive around 
and shoot some scenery ^-^

Hope you loved the photos!
-Nix

Creative Commons License
Landscapes by Myrene Nikko Evangelista is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at myreikko.deviantart.com/ .

0 comments:

Twitter Facebook Delicious Stumbleupon Favorites More