Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cell Phones Through The Ages

Woooow talkin bout changes...
I don't know why, but for some reason I just had an idea to start blogging about the whole list of cell phones I grew up having. Kind of a shocker when you look at how much technology and design throughout the years has changed, but it's fun too and sort of a cool inspiration. (I'll replace the current pictures of the phones I actually still have when I get the time ^-^)

So let's go on and start this list =p







The Motorola StarTAC was a family phone we got back in 96, surprisingly I still have the original one stored in my drawer plus a blue one we got from my mom's work making them about 15 years old and still working @.@ I only used this a few times in elementary to call my parents to pick me up and stuff since it wasn't allowed to really own one that time at my school.






My first cell phone, the Nokia 5165 (98-00).
My sister owned this first then me back in 98 when it came out, but it eventually became mine when she got the Nokia 3390. So since I was already in JR High, it was time for my own cellie. I loved this phone. I had a bunch of face plates for it and eventually got a full housing to replace the crappy original. Yup I got the one with the blinking antenna, blinking battery lights, custom back leds and I made my own transparent backgrounds for the screen. Sadly it died by freshmen year.






My second coolest cellphone, the Keyocera Slider (02-03).
By freshmen year I needed a phone bad. Everyone in school had one and heller it's like High School hahaha. So by the time my sister went to the states, she got me the Keyocera Slider which was completely new here on island. Though at the time mine was locked to Verizon, the picture above was the original color I got. I also had the MTV version until the phone company here screwed up the whole software and replaced it with the blue one that was pretty crappy. But that didn't stop me from using it. I loved it cause it was soo small and I pretty much was one of  the only few people in school who had one. Then the custom housings came out and I got one in clear blue with a cool graphic skin. I had alot of memories with this phone lol, the first time I messed it up was wen I left it in my bag and all of a sudden it rained pretty hard. So the phone got wet and died till dis one guy who really liked me offered to repair it =p. There was then that one night I came home super late, pissed my dad off to the max and he threw it to the wall. It didn't survived at all.






My third cellphone, downgraded from koolness, the Keyocera 3225 (04-05).
So after that whole incident, once again I had no cellphone, but it was pretty important to have one. It helped a lot with communicating with your parents about where to pick you up and stuff like that. I mean you know high school and all those after school activities. I forgot how I got this one, it was either from my dad or my mom, but it was used and old LOL. It sucked so bad cause the only way to charge it, was to charge it by the car charger. So every night when its low-batt I had to go to the car and hang out for 30-1hr -.- till it was done. Though it was still cool, as the picture shows, the side blinks and stuff as a notifier. You could change the different patterns and all =p






My fourth cellphone, "finna flip" the Motorola W375 (06-09).
Was getting tired of the stupid charging habit of the 3225, so when the W375 came out on sale at my local phone company, I just had to cop it. It was a birthday gift to myself and sign of change. By this time things in my life were getting better and I finna made up my mind to stand out instead of follow ^-^. So yes I got the orange colorway of the W375 just cause it looked pretty awesome and I was really into Japanese phones within those years. This was the closest thing to em.






My fifth cellphone, "My most loved/hated" the LG KS360 (09).
After graduating high school, I finna coped a full time job. At the same time I formed the first group of friends I could actually call my very own. So a lot of texting took place during this year cause we hanged out a lot. My W375 was starting to be a pain. Texting was getting harder due to the design of it's keypads, also I started to envy those with the qwerty keyboard phones. So I gave my mom my old W375 and bought my first LG. It was great when it lasted, till one stupid day in the movies. The ticket got caught up in between the slides, cut the ribbon that connected the screen and the the keyboard and killed it. I bought a replacement asap, but that didn't last long too -.- What an FML moment that was.






My back up phones, the Nokia 3360 and the Motorola E398 (09-10).
So with my KS360 down, I had to use the old phones we got hiding in the house. Thank goodness my mom brought home all those old cellphones from work LOL. These 2 didn't last with me that long, like only a few months. The Nokia 3360 needed a replacement battery, so we got a new one and tried to re-activate it but the phone company just asked if we wanted to trade it in for a new one but got a really tiny azz motorola as a replacement. My mom sold that one and my dad recently got his Iphone so I went ahead and used his E398 which wasn't so bad. The E398 was a pretty fun phone. It took vids, pics, played mp3s and blinked on the sides like the Keyocera 3325, just better hehe.







My sixth cellphone, "Current" The Nokia N97 Mini (10-).
Wow, what can I say about my current one. I went through a pretty crazy time when I was getting this. One day my dad went on a shopping spree on Ebay after he got his Iphone. He got my mom a new phone for her birthday then asked if I wanted one as well. So I said yeh but all I wanted was either the Sidekick or the Samsung Impression. He ended up getting me the 32GB N97, the first one that was pretty big, but it turned out to be a knock off -.- So we sent that back and I forced him to get me the Impression. He tricked me when this one came in. So my initial reaction was "Are you sure this ones the real deal this time?". Thank goodness for my researching skills, I had a real N97 (mini) which was nice cause it was smaller. I almost didn't last with this little guy cause the first day I had it with me I went out clubbing. I placed it in my pocket cause I didn't want it getting stolen. It seemed fine when I came home then the next morning it needed charging. After charging it the whole touchscreen stop responding for the whole day. Being so frustrated I packed it back up in the box. I told my dad about the problem, I was like "I can't believe Nokia, a high end phone and the screen is made so badly". I was ready to ship it back out that day till I came home from work. I took a deep breath, opened the box up again and tried to turn it on. I removed the SD card just in-case after reading tons of the same complaints and possible fixes on their websites from other owners. Then a big sigh of relief it was working fine. After all of that I never placed it in my pocket. I made sure the screen had no way of getting too much pressure on it. I wouldn't even let my friends touch it that much. Though it sucks u can't put this phone in your pocket o_o it's pretty awesome. 8GB internal memory, 5MP camera with flash, and it's a smart phone which though is useless down here cause they don't have my phone at my local phone company so I'm not that willing to have them try to enable my phone to their data connection. I guess I'll just wait till I move to the states to see the full potential of this phone =]

Well hope you enjoyed reading about my cell phones lol. I believe Ima keep this list goin. Wonder wats next after a few years. ^-^

Take care of your candies people. 50+ phones are still alotta money.
love,
Nix

0 comments:

Twitter Facebook Delicious Stumbleupon Favorites More