Thursday, March 3, 2011

Time-Lapse, Stop Motions or Video....



So pretty soon I'm gonna start working on a major painting project for this year's local art competition. I'm hopefully looking at two 30"x40" mixed media paintings with a similar theme as my first entry last year. Since I love flowers and I'm fairly good at drawing/painting them, I'm just going to stick with that.

In the process of thinking up how these paintings should look and where should I start, I saw some awesome videos that documented the Creative Process of a final piece. I found these videos on Abduzeedo and thought that I should try making one.


Tony Riff from itdrewitself on Vimeo.

I really love how the one above was composed. I've always been planning to test out how creative I can be with video and this video sparked up some motivation. On the same list, there where Creative Process videos shot in time-lapse. This style showed the process point by point, and is just a lot of fun to watch.


TEDxBrooklyn by SARA BLAKE of the KDU from Cinecycle on Vimeo.


Time-Lapse reminds me of the first time I've seen them in action through Gizmodo. I was browsing through some photography works on Deviantart when I stumbled on Tilt-Shift photography. After researching it online, Gizmodo had a small list of tilt-shift time-lapse videos. They look soo awesome and you'd actually wonder if this was a model or a the real world cause everything is all miniature.


Bathtub III from Keith Loutit on Vimeo.

Recently, a bunch of the local photographers I know has/have been doing time-lapse videos and last night J.K. taught me how. I'm not planning on posting mine up though lol, all my settings weren't right and the video so far looks crappy XD. So it might just go into my scrap pile. I would love to feature their videos though, including J.K.'s =D They look pretty tight, and is sure fun to watch!


Garapan Time-lapse from John Kyle on Vimeo.

Triple Double. from silent.gear on Vimeo.

Crater Lake In Time from Jerry Lin on Vimeo.

One Long Sunset from Karen Tenorio Cabrera on Vimeo.


After watching J.K.'s video, I saw one of his fans suggest stop motion, which I still remember from back then. It was how a lot of the old cartoons were created. Frame by frame, centimeters to centimeters, it was a process I highly respected. I tried it once, where you draw a figure and capture it then play it as a whole. It was hella cool, but I lost that copy when my old computer crashed =/

Below are a few examples I found and adore. The light painting one is my favorite =D



A SHORT LOVE STORY IN STOP MOTION from Carlos Lascano on Vimeo.


Origami In the Pursuit of Perfection from MABONA ORIGAMI on Vimeo.


There's soo many different ways for me to document my creative process, and at first it was hard to choose, but now that I've created this whole list, I believe I know what I'm going to go for. I'm gonna try to have all the techniques in one. ^-^ Hopefully it all comes together swell.

Stay Creative!!
-Nix

0 comments:

Twitter Facebook Delicious Stumbleupon Favorites More