Monday, March 14, 2011

Shark Bait....


So was checking the daily emails this morning and got a funny inquiry from someone out of no where. mryouknowwhoyouare@hotmail.com is a perfect example of a shark. There's a huge ocean out there and in that ocean you have a vast sea of different fishes.

There's the simple fish, the worker fish, the general everyday fishes and then there's the sharks. The sharks are the main fishes who's got it big. On top of other fishes, they are fearful and undefeated. How? They're tricky.

Sharks lurks in the depths of the murky waters, tailing fishes. They trick the average fish by making it seems like everything is ok and when they least expect it, the shark eats them alive.

How does this relate to my morning?

mryouknowwhoyouare@hotmail.com emailed me with a business proposal. He praised how good my work was and how he love the way I edited my photographs. He lured me in by his kindness until he came with a bite. "I love your photos, but I like how you edit more. How bout if I hire you to edit my images? I'll pay you $... for every batch you finish, but I must own the credits to all of them."

I don't know if I have the right to get mad here, but um what?

A bite of reality is when a person critics you of your work, something you created out of passion then out of no where have someone say it doesn't look any good as of how they describe it.

I have nothing against being an editor, but for someone who's trying to grow a name for herself, this right now isn't a good choice. mryouknowwhoyouare@hotmail.com offered a rate lower then what I charge my clients and in agreement he must share my work on his images without crediting me -.-

How am I suppose to grow as an individual artist if I allowed mryouknowwhoyouare@hotmail.com with this privilege.

I've been on this road before, and it wasn't with my photos or editing. It was with the graphics I drew for a company who paid me little and with no commission or credit. That company grew, and got alot of profit while I was left with little for every design I created for them.

Sharks.

They're everywhere, and business wise are deadly. If you fall into a shark's path, you'll become their bait. U'll be eaten and all your hard work will be theirs to get praised upon.

U'll end up as someone who was never heard about, and even though you have a portfolio out, you won't ever get notice. You'll only get noticed by your die hard fans, who knows your work from a glance.

Art is a tough profession, it is a career path of risk and luck. If you choose to not stand up for your creations, you'll end up being a shadow to others.

Don't fall into a shark's bite, be as smart as a dolphin and hit him in the gills.

-Nix

0 comments:

Twitter Facebook Delicious Stumbleupon Favorites More